Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I'm Back!

The next few posts will be the ones that I wrote while the internet/power was down.  But I should be able to post every day for the next few days.  Aren't you lucky!

The students have arrived! I think this means no more peace in the mountains. I'm right next to the girls' dormitory which I think means lots of late-night giggling. I'll be slightly disappointed if it doesn't. The school I'm at, as many of you may know, has students from PP to year 10. PP students are six years old and, yes, they board as well. I think I would have been the most irritating, miserable mess if my parents had sent me to board at six years old. They chose a different route which was to move me from Chernobyl affected Poland to the safest of all countries, Pakistan. Very responsible, my parents (I love my mommy and daddy).
Just before writing this I was sitting on my porch reading and being very amused by the younger students walking by. The older students would just say something like 'Good evening, madam.' but the younger ones would keep their distance and, while giggling, seem to dare each other to approach this strange, wild animal. Eventually, one would come up and either say hello or ask me my name or something and would giggle shyly no matter what I said. At one stage I really got a desire to jump on my chair and growl at them but I'm not sure they would have seen the funny side. I also could have spoken to them first but I was cruelly finding them too amusing.
Another thing I like is how I get called 'Miss Arwen' or 'Madam Arwen' as last names are not really used here. I prefer 'Miss' as 'Madam' just sounds too much like what an 80 year old, horrifically posh-accented lady called something like 'Maude' should be called. No offense to people who like being called 'Madam.' 'Madam' is also what my mom would call me if I was being an annoying, whiny little whatsit so I really would prefer 'Miss.' The men get called 'Sir' which means I have colleagues who will get called Sir Colin, Sir Jonathan, Sir Kyle and so on which I think is dreadfully unfair. They get to sound like a knight where I either sound like a dowager or an annoying little girl (this is where my brothers will say that I am an annoying little girl). And, yes, male teachers getting called Sir Whatever has led to hilarious misunderstandings.
I've also met my form class who are wonderful and I will do my best to not only learn their names but also pronounce them properly. They've already been introduced to Eve and Padráig and they reacted very favourably so I think it will be a good year. They haven't seen T'eo yet but given this is the land of the Thunder Dragon I can only see them adoring him as he should be adored. Have I mentioned that I miss T'eo yet?
Now earlier this afternoon I managed to post two old entries that I hadn't been able to post earlier because of internet issues. I was planning on giving you a huge treat of three posts in one day but, luckily for you, the power is off and I can think of no better use of Dawson's battery power than writing a blog post.
Don't forget Padráig's birthday on the 17th of February and Eve's on the 25th. I doubt mom will give them a birthday cuddle.
Hugs to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment