Thursday, February 14, 2013

This is  double post again.  I think I've finally got the hang of the internet up here

It's my first full day in Gasa! Luckily Heather was here overnight to help set up. If she hadn't been I'd probably have starved to death. I'd definitely have died of thirst. I think keeping a supply of fresh water might just be one of my biggest projects for the year. So I'll just pretend I'm Susan in Peter Duck. I'm also pretending I'm in Winter Holiday because my bukari (wood burning stove) has a few leaks in it so smoke is enjoying escaping into my room and my eyes are smarting but that just makes it more authentic. I was also more like the Ds than the Swallows and Amazons when it came to lighting it.
After seeing Heather off to Punakha I got a few visitors. I heard them moving around outside so I went to see what was up. I was slightly impolite because I didn't invite them in but I wasn't sure that their feet were clean.
I've met the VP and some other staff members who have been so kind and have again made sure that I won't starve. I feel slightly guilty because I'm being slightly anti-social because I'm pretty sure I'm getting a cold so my next entry may be laryngitis-y. I have no idea when this will be posted as I'm having slight internet problems but I was half expecting that and it just means there'll be more xkcds to catch up on.
The most important news of the day I've saved for last. I saw my first Bhutanese reptile! Okay, it was a garden skink just like the ones we get in Australia and not a gharial or anything but it was still the first reptile I've seen since leaving Australia! I miss T'eo. I'm hoping my BCF colleagues will help me out with a pet project of trying to start cataloging the Bhutanese reptiles, amphibians and various cool invertebrates. I'm not sure I've asked them all yet but who wouldn't want to take pictures of adorable geckos and things? And T'eo would like to see pictures of his subjects.
Hugs Hugs 


Second Entry

I'm writing this latest blog entry, still in open office, sitting by my bukari singing various songs loudly knowing that I won't be disturbing anyone as the only other people staying here are on the other side of the campus. I've made my way through bits of The Messiah, Orfeo, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, a bunch I learned from Jenny Barnes (singing teacher), various G and S tunes and some S and G tunes as well. Aren't you glad you're not here for once?
Hopefully I should actually be able to post soon as, though the internet is functioning, nobody I've talked to can remember the password. I also can't access the net inside my quarters so I'll just have to blog while sitting on my porch/veranda thing enjoying the view of the Himalayas around me. Sigh.
So my bukari is lit, but not by me. Some Bhutanese Susans (see Winter Holiday. Now) came and helped me. Bhutanese Susans do things differently to English Susans as they use kerosene as an acceptable lighting aid. No, I won't be posting pictures of me with no eyebrows, should that occur, unless you are very nice and promise not to laugh. I'm really not planning on that happening so don't get your hopes up.
I've also found my local store. It doesn't sell cornettos so I'll have to find them elsewhere come the zombie apocalypse, but it is quite small and cute. Emphasis on small. I think it's about the same size as my bedroom in Canberra. I realise that won't mean much to many of you, just like some of the references I keep making, so just imagine the size of a fifteen year old girl's bedroom and then imagine that being turned into a corner store.
Another thing I've been doing that will probably annoy my neighbours when they arrive is practising my ukulele. I've mostly got Yellow Submarine down and I'm even practising Waltzing Matilda as it may be the only Australian Folk song I kind of know. I think the rosebush out the front of my place doesn't appreciate my playing as it unkindly speared me in the finger making it hurt when I play. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with the Cabra Ukulele Group so I can rejoin when I get back.
Hugs hugs
p.s. Though they will also have an alternative Bhutanese name, the yak is Randall after my 1st and 2nd grade principal, the serpent is Esther, which is my 4th grade teacher's real first name (sorry Jane but I already have a turtle with your preferred name) and the tortoise is named Laura after Laura Ingalls Wilder even though I want to be a teacher and she didn't.


2 comments:

  1. Your eyes should adjust to the stove, but if it continues to be a problem, take the pipes apart and bang all the soot out outside. Should do the trick.

    I hope you aren't getting sick! If you want to try some local remedy for a cold, ask around about an herb that they use to make a tea for it...it has a very nice smell, and someone should be able to find itmformyou, it grows all around the school.

    I am loving your blog!!!

    And don't worry, the students will adore the ukulele :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll be asking students for help in bulkari cleaning this weekend. Hopefully I won't end up too sooty! And the students are adoring the uke, whether I'm playing it or they're trying to. I love how every song I play suddenly becomes their favourite!

    ReplyDelete