Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Snow! A couple of weeks ago

This blog entry will be slightly irritating for me as I'm writing it the terribly old fashioned way of pen on paper. Why, you ask. Because I'm temporarily homeless in Thimphu. That's a slightly dramatic way of putting it but, as you know, I adore being dramatic. Really this whole situation came about because of a heater. You see, I'm a bit of a wimp and Karma, problem solver and guide extraordinaire, under-estimated my ability to feel the cold. I am really quite good at it. He said that I would be fine with just a bulkari. Also, he probably didn't know that my quarters have now been divided and the bulkari is unable now to heat my bedroom. Anyway, getting back to why I'm homeless. I decided on my first weekend off to be frivolous and buy a heater. Fortunately, the vice-pricipal had to go to Paro (where the airport is, as I'm sure you remember) which is near Thimphu and he kindly drove me so I wouldn't have to risk catching a taxi with a possibly reckless driver. The drive down was extremely beautiful. Not the best driving conditions as it was foggy, rainy and snowy but still very beautiful. Think Scotland without the adorable cows. Now remember that word 'snowy,' it will be coming up again.


Dochula looked a bit different last time.

 We made it to Thimphu and the heater along with other vital things like cookies and peanut butter were bought with the help of Sonam, another teacher (who interestingly enough had a slight accident since then involving a football and a wall but fortunately is fine now) and his wife. I had an extravagant dinner of grilled cheese and fries (bread is not common in Gasa) and then to bed after waking my long-suffering mother up at midnight Toronto, NSW time just to say hello. Oops.
When I woke up, the first thing I noticed was that it was very noisy. A sensible person would have looked out the window to discover what the commotion was but there was a shower with hot running water and I was more interested in that. It wasn't until I walked outside that I realised what was going on. Thimphu was covered in snow! Naturally I had left my camera in Gasa and my ipod was dead so I had to run back upstairs for 20 minutes to charge it but here are some of the shots.
Just outside the hotel


 
I can't remember if its name was Bob or Beowulf
Clock Tower looking a bit cold


Funnily enough, many businesses stayed closed but the famous Ambient Cafe was open (which it isn't today. Grr. When I wrote this 'today' was the 18th of February). Eventually it dawned on me that snowy roads are difficult to drive on. Sure enough, I got a call saying that we probably wouldn't be returning today which would mean missing out on at least one day of school. Ah well, better safe than sorry so I returned to the Ambient and met up with Matt, a university lecturer who lives in Trongsa, and made sure he knew proper snake bite first aid.

Aside – Can anyone tell me when was the last time I went a whole day without mentioning reptiles? Possibly not since before Jane, the World Champion Fourth Grade Teacher. Let me know if you have any ideas. I miss T'eo, by the way, and Padraig whose birthday was yesterday!

Back to it – At around four I had to run away from Matt as the vice-principal called and though I could only hear every other word I got the impression that we would be moving. I was right. Very slowly and carefully on the snowy road which got snowier and snowier until we reached a place called Dochula where everything stopped. Not in the 0 kelvin sense but in the 'Oh god, the road is blocked by snow and no vehicles can get past' sense. It was about 7pm (in the evening. I love my daddy) at this stage and the only thing for it was to head back to Thimphu.

Back down the mountain we went and fortunately the hotel and given my room, which I had already paid for, away. So after a brief meal of bananas (very sweet ones. Gibber would approve) it was time for sleep and hopefully no dreams about driving.

I woke up to a slushy, melty Thimphu and, even worse, it was Monday so the Ambient was closed. I had absolutely no idea what I should do as roads may still be closed and there were many stranded as I was. After some investigating it seemed that my options were to either pay for a triple room in a cheaper hotel or, for a little more, get a single room in a more expensive one but, of course, if we were Gasa bound neither would be necessary. So I gave up my room and merely wandered temporarily homeless in a city with no open cafes. Or none that I could find anyway.
(since starting this blog I've returned to Gasa so my tenses are confused and may change without warning. I could edit but that would spoil the fun for dad).  On both days there were also many youths who took great delight in throwing snowballs at the chillip (foreigner) and I often had both hands full so couldn't retaliate.  Like Laura, I probably shouldn't have snowball fights with students.  Or potential students.

But even in bad weathers the ATMs are still polite

Not the best photo but the young man in the foreground was one of the culprits.

Then 2 rays of happiness happened almost simultaneously.
  1. Dawa called and said we'd be heading back to Gasa.
  2. Zone was open and I ordered a cheeseburger.
Sadly this meant eating my burger in the car but I got a cheeseburger!

Dochula again but sunny and snowy this time


Luckily it was a drive fairly free of ice and snow and not completely free of monkeys (2 adorable ones! Again Gibber would approve). The only slightly scary bit was the road up to Gasa where the snow had obviously done some damage including, sadly, to the power lines. So I am writing now in Gasa where we have no power and for some reason the water keeps getting turned off. Perhaps Pa can come and dig me a well but only if he sends a candle down first.

Of course, by the time you read this, the power will have had to come on again but I wonder if the water will be permanently on. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!

Hugs hugs!





1 comment:

  1. Hotel in New DelhiAre you looking for Hotels in Delhi? Call cheap hotel in Delhi Today @+91-9810104774 or Hotels in Delhi at affordable rates.

    ReplyDelete