Thursday, January 31, 2013

Still back in time

I believe I was in Bangkok during my last blog entry, even though it was completely written in Thimphu, as this one will be. I may as well continue on with what happen after the clown and saxophone adventure and it seems unfair to not write about the Druk Air flight even though my mom probably won't like it very much.
The day began with me waking up at 3am and enjoying what may be the last beautifully hot shower with good water pressure for about a year. (The showers in our hotel in Thimphu are actually pretty good but I can't as frivolous with how much time I spend in the shower as I was in Bangkok)
I left the hotel of friendly, incredibly polite staff and went to the airport where, and maybe I should keep in mind that it was about 4am, people looked at me like I was specifically put on this earth to make their life more difficult. (Yes, I know, at least half of you are saying 'But you were!)
Druk Air check in wasn't open yet and I did see another Caucasian person hanging round and wondered if they were another BCF newbie but was too nervous to ask them. This person turned out to be Valerie who was thinking the exact same thing about me but was also too nervous to ask. Huzzah for introverts!
Now, if you pay the extra $60ish dollars and upgrade to business class when flying Druk Air, which I highly recommend you do, read the little extra cards they give you. One will say you get priority when going through immigration or customs or whatever it was. I didn't read the card and, here's the introvert again, waited patiently, not saying anything when people cut in front of me, though I was mentally filling their bags with treacle, and was slightly tired and flustered when I finally got through. Imagine how delighted I was when I looked at the card later and realised I could have missed that fabulous experience.
Fortunately, I did read the other card which informed me that I was allowed into the Air France lounge. Yes, I took advantage of it. No, I didn't have any of the alcohol they had on offer as the sun was nowhere near the yardarm but I did enjoy the buffet numerous times while looking for other teachery looking people. Nobody else seemed like a teacher in there, so I just enjoyed the mini pies and sandwiches while occasionally looking at the huge collection of spirit and liqueur bottles near by. (I did have 2 Singapore Slings on the flight from Sydney to Singapore though) I think I deserve points for not cramming my hand luggage full of the adorable sandwiches, quiches and pies. It would have been the classiest thing I had done all day!
After tearing myself away from the buffet I found I was the last of the teachers to get to the gate but since none of the others took advantage of the Air France Lounge, that's pretty understandable. If I remember correctly there were 5 of us on that flight, Sarah Shmidt, Matt and Lucy, Valerie and myself. The first thing I will say about the flight is 'Leg room! Sweet beautiful leg room!' and the next will be an apology because I can't find the photos which Steven and Mary know all about. So just try to imagine mountains. Lovely mountains, some with a bit of snow on both sides of the plane. Mom is not allowed to be sick. So I'm going to post this without the photos but I will go back and put them in as soon as I find them.

Hugs and Tashi Delek!

Here are the photos from the Druk Air flight.  Sadly, mine didn't come out so I'd like to thank fellow BCFer, Matt Stretton, who I think was seated two rows in front of me, for these photos.  Aren't they cool mom!








 Make sure you get a window seat when you come to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment