Friday, December 20, 2013

T'EO! TWO DAYS TILL T'EO!

Those of you that have met me know that my organisational skills are in some need of development. You also know that while I like my living quarters to be tidy, my desire to just play just one more level or, as it was the other day, finish Anansi Boys to make sure that the ending hadn't changed since the last time I read it. If there happened to be a procrastination olympics, I'm sure I could successful represent my country but of course, they'd never get around to organising it and I'd probably forget to fill out the application form.
Fortunately, the day before I left Punakha to come to Thimphu was a holiday as it was the national day. This meant all the packing and tidying and setting free of the strange life forms which were taking over the fridge could finally take place without any excuses like that I was tired after school or had marking to do. I did actually do some work before that day but I seem to work better under pressure with only occasional tantrums, yelling at various inanimate objects and contemplations about just burning everything. I still had to get up at 5 the next morning to finish the last couple tasks which stupidly included defrosting the fridge. Hopefully the huge puddle of water will have evaporated by the time I get back. I'm also hopeful that my storage of things keeps them safe from any creatures which Eve finds cuddly and delicious. I haven't seen that many but I've seen enough that I'm contemplating bringing some of Eve and Padraig's old clothes to drape around.
On the 18th the students finally found out their marks and sadly some year 6's and 7's will be having  another go at that grade before moving up but all 8th graders passed which means they all must move to a different school. I wouldn't have minded failing a few of them just so I could teach them again and fortunately they understood what I meant when I said that to them. My greatest success of the day was that I was able to eat all the ema datsi on my plate at the farewell lunch and even took seconds!  
I'm currently in Thimphu and have finally finished packing and about to set my alarm for 4:15am in the morning (I loves my daddy) as my plane leaves for Singapore at 7:20 and it takes about an hour to get to the airport. Some of you may wonder why I don't stay in Paro tonight and the answer is that the farewell BCF dinner is tonight. I thought waking up early was an ok price to pay to have one last dinner with some fellow BCFers who I may not see again.
The other thing I should probably mention is that we all had tea with their majesties and it was happily much more relaxed than I was expecting. 5 year old Xavier adorably stole the show and informed them that they must visit Australia and when they do he would pay for their tickets. I also had the most difficult walk of my life because since we had to dress formally in kiras and ghos if possible it was obvious that my boots would not be appropriate. I had brought a pair of formal shoes but they aren't really suitable for the uneven, rocky streets of Thimphu. I managed to catch a taxi to the meeting place but couldn't find one to bring me back to my hotel so I walked not a great distance but great enough in these:


Yes, I got comments and strange looks from my colleagues

My feet hurt.

And now I shall have to depart or I shall miss the aforementioned dinner. It has been an unforgettable year and let's just hope I can learn from my mistakes next year.
Lots of hugs to all and I WILL SEE T'EO THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment