Saturday, May 25, 2013

4 in one day! You should feel blessed! Also there is a dragon in this post

A dragon! A dragon on school grounds! This morning (the 20th of May) there was a large group of students gathered around something in the assembly area and I was told by some very excited students that there was a lizard. Of course, I rushed down as quickly as possible and it was a little aegamid! Its body was about the length of my middle finger (I realise that's not very helpful for those of you who have not met me, sorry) and its tail was longer again. Its complete length was about the same as Dawson's (who is a sony vaio notebook). Obviously the little dragon was much littler than T'eo but behaved slightly similarly. I was able to catch him or her who seemed quite happy to sit on my hand while the students and some teachers admired it but I wouldn't let them pet the little one as I didn't think that would be appreciated. The T'eo-like behaviour was when the dragon decided that it had had enough of sitting on my hand and decided that my shirt looked like a much nicer place to be. It jumped on my shirt and ran up on to my shoulder much to the delight of the students. Fortunately, I was able to pick him or her up again and let it go in the foresty bit on the edge of the school though it was very tempting to bring it home so it could catch the crickets who enjoy chirping as loudly as they can right when I'm trying to sleep. I swear that they're louder than any of the crickets which I gave to T'eo.
Hopefully I'll be able to post a picture of it at some stage as a teacher had their phone handy. I really should start taking my camera with me everywhere. But just in case, it was greyish-white with black marks and a longer, thinner face than T'eo's. It didn't have a nice, puffy beard but it did open its mouth once and I'm sure that it would have puffed if it could. On the back of its neck was the beginning of a crest. I think it wasn't really sure if it wanted a crest or not so it's just trying a small one to start and might grow a bigger one if it thinks the little one looks good.

So it was a pretty good start to the week. The weekend was fairly successful too. The nicest thing being that I was finally able to get a full gas tank. Even better, I got the gas situation fixed without a carpenter, electrician, glazier or painter having to be called round (See Flanders and Swann). And one of my students brought me some mushrooms from her village and insisted on cooking them for me. They were delicious, even though I didn't have any chillies which she found odd, but I felt bad as she had to go home before the food had finished cooking. I did make her take a bunch of cookies as I felt guilty that she didn't get to eat her own cooking. Some others came round too and asked if I had any cartoons. I don't think South Park or Futurama would be very appropriate so I offered them My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic or Adventure Time. MLP was chosen and we managed to watch the first two episodes. I'm going to continue the David Attenborough education but sadly I didn't bring that many with me and I think MLP fits in very well with the Gross National Happiness. I'm not too sure if Adventure Time always does though it should mostly. Helping people, studying science and things overcoming differences are all good things but I don't think sword-fighting is encouraged. Or at least, not until you've tried lots of less violent things first.
The only slightly annoying thing about the weekend was that for the first time in a little while I was able to sleep in past 6:15 and I was really looking forward to that. Unfortunately, my upstairs neighbour I suspect does weaving. At first I thought that there was construction work going on as the noise which woke me at about 6 sounded a lot like hammering. I've heard it before but mostly in the afternoons and evenings. What I now suspect it is, is weaving on a backstrap loom. I saw a lady do it in Thimphu and the loom is about 45 degrees off vertical and there was some sort of wooden thing which was used to compress the already woven threads. I'm not positive that it was weaving which woke me up but it was slightly irritating whatever it was. I did managed to get back to sleep but kept being woken up so at about 8 I decided that trying to sleep was too much work. I'm thinking ear-plugs might come in handy next Saturday night.

Just a quick update on Saturday the 25th of May. Today was a holiday (normally we have school till about noon on Saturdays) and I was really looking forward to a sleep in and even found my earplugs so the loom wouldn't irritate but the earplugs are no match for my doorbell. It has quite a piercing tone especially at 6:20 am on a day off! One of my choir member thought she had left something, which she hadn't, last night and thought that 6:20 am in the morning (hello daddy!) would be the best time to come and look for it. When we couldn't find it she asked if I would play one song on my 'guitar.' She had brought me a handful of green beans so I played one verse of something, I really can't remember what, and then politely hinted that maybe she had better things to do which, fortunately, she did. I couldn't really get irritated with her because I think the idea of someone sleeping in on a day off was as weird to her as getting up early on a day off is to me! Argh! If someone could please send instructions on how to safely disconnect a doorbell I would be very much obliged!
Hugs hugs and congratulations to all who have managed to get through all my recent entries!

No comments:

Post a Comment