Saturday, July 12, 2014

I am a terrible person.

I have a year seven student who has family in Thimphu which means he has seen a lot of foreign, as in American, movies.  He will often come and tell me about movies that he's seen such as Toy Story and numerous superhero movies.
Now, I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to superheroes but I can normally fake my way through conversations.  You know, I'll chat about how Steve Banner flew his invisible plane from Krypton because his parents were shot and that's how he became Wolverine.  Flawless.  I do have my own superhero, though.  Her name is Drake and she has dragon powers which she got when a dragon saved her life after she had been thrown into a volcano in Iceland.  I then decided how it was totally unfair that male superheroes often have titles like 'Captain' or 'Professor' and female superheroes don't really so I thought that Drake should get a title. So I changed her to Captain... Drake.  Hmmm.  Can I do that?  Those of you who have studied English history will know about the Tudor era privateer who, I believe, was the first Englishman to sail around the world.  Can I use his name for a half human/half dragon superhero?
I seem to have become sidetracked.  Sorry.  Anyway, my student, who had recently seen Iron Man 3, asked me how Tony Stark's suit was able to put itself on him.  I tried to explain CGI which I brilliantly described as 'kind of cartoons made with computers' but he stopped me and asked how Tony Stark did it.  While I was thinking how to answer this he asked me if I had ever met Iron Man.  I was slightly thrown by this question.  Looking back, I could have said something like, 'No, but I had tea with the Hulk last week.'  but I didn't.  I really had no idea what to say.  I said that I had not met him and, I am so sorry for this, I said that he is a comic book character.  I did NOT say that he wasn't real but I felt really, really bad.  I would like to say that the student is thirteen or fourteen and was one of the students who previously asked me if My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was real.  What would you have done?  Am I the worst person in the world?  Aargh!
Hugs to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment